The University of the Western Cape's Department
of Library & Information Science will be offering a 5 day course
on Children's & Youth Literature for teachers and teacher-librarians
from December 06 - 10, 2004.
- How to approach children's & youth literature
- Surveying the main genres
- Reading picture books
- From oral literature to modern fantasy
- Challenges facing South African children's & youth publishing
- Why should young people enjoy reading?
- Sources of information & support in South Africa
- The appeal of modern problem realism
- Building an attractive collection: selection issues
- Promoting a reading culture in your school
NB! If you are interested in joining the course, you will need
to be a
member of a public library. You will also be required to read a
books ahead of time. Please contact the department about this list
books as soon as possible.
Closing date for registration and payment: Friday, November 26 ,
Group size is limited to 20 persons.
Contact Sonia Stroud email@example.com
021- 959 2137; 021 959 3659
(f) for further information or registration details.