Maskew Miller Longman Children's Literature Awards
for all 11 official South African languages
Maskew Miller Longman invites you to submit your unpublished and
original children's stories and illustrations for children. Entries
will be judged by children's literature experts in each of our 11
More than R100 000 in total prize-money to be won!
Closing date: 30 April 2009
2009 Award Criteria
Entries are invited in two categories:
- Category 1: Children's story
- Category 2: Illustration for children's story
An official entry form MUST accompany all entries.
R7 500 will be awarded to the story winner in each language and
to the illustration winner. There will also be a runners-up prize
of R3 500.
Category 1: Children's story
- The stories should appeal to South African children aged 9
- The length of the stories submitted should be between 4000
and 18000 words.
- Established and new writers may submit original manuscripts
in any of the eleven South African official languages.
- The work submitted should be original, unpublished and untranslated
from any published material.
- The winning entry in each language category will be published
by Maskew Miller Longman. Non-winning entries may also qualify
Category 2: Illustration for children's story
- Entries should consist of at least 2 full colour illustrations
of one A4 page each. The illustrations should appeal to South
African children aged 9 to 13. They should illustrate the following
- Picture 1: An African boy and girl, around 10 years old, are
collecting wood in the bush. They have a pile of wood in a wheelbarrow,
and their small dog is with them. There are dark clouds building
up in the sky.
- Picture 2: Later in the story, there is a big storm. The same
two children and their dog are running towards a cave to shelter
there during the storm.
- The competition is not open to MML staff members or their immediate
families and the judges/screeners of the competition.
- The judges' decision is final and no correspondence will be
- Entrants MUST Be South African citizens or permanent residents.
- Category 1: Manuscripts should be typed on one side of unbound
A4 page in double spacing with all pages clearly numbered. E-mail
entries will not be accepted. Authors are advised to retain a
copy of their manuscript as submitted copies will not be returned.
- Category 2: Original artwork needs to be submitted, I.e no
photocopies. The artwork will not be returned.
- No restrictions on the number of entries. An official entry
form MUST accompany every entry.
Entry forms are available from
the Maskew Miller Longman website and from the Centre for the Book,
62 Queen Victoria Street, Cape Town.
Find form at http://www.mml.co.za/docs/2009LitAwardsForm.pdf
For more information please
contact: Brenda Alexander at 021 532 6185 / firstname.lastname@example.org